Congratulations! You did it! After hours of painstaking research, budgeting decisions, and exploratory trials, you sealed the deal on your chosen project management solution. Now what? It may feel overwhelming when you are first tasked with getting your new construction management software program up and running, but let us – the experts - tell you that it is as easy as 1, 2, 3…
- Devise a plan. When you began your search for construction software, you identified “pain points,” or specific challenges that you were facing on a daily basis and you chose a construction program to provide a modern, efficient, complete solution. Now, it’s time to refine your focus. Begin by addressing the basic set up of your system, as a solid foundation makes for the most stable structure going forward. Then, prioritize the implementation of features in order of importance to you & your team. This focused approach keeps your transition smooth and sets you up for immediate success.
- Be sure to contact your software provider during the initial implementation to discover what resources they have available to support you as you find success.
2. Prepare your tools. When you begin utilizing any new system, spend the time upfront to thoroughly complete your set up. Options like importing contacts, customizing letterhead, and creating templates can seem labor-intensive initially, but doing so makes the system work much more efficiently for you immediately and in the future – and you’ll be amazed at the time and energy you will save 3 months down the road because all of your resources are already loaded into the system!
- This also eases you into getting comfortable with the system. Completing these initial tasks gives you the chance to gain confidence with the system set up and navigation, so you are already feeling like a pro by the end of week 1!
3. Huddle your team. You’re not a one man show, and you can’t implement construction management software like you are. For you to find the most success with your new platform, your team must be on board for the transition. Involve them from the beginning and encourage them to explore different ways that the system can benefit their specific role, such as daily logging. Provide your team with resources for when they have questions and support them as they find their groove with things. As collaboration and communication improve, everyone will wonder why you didn’t make the switch earlier.
- Hold your team accountable for utilizing the new processes introduced with your software solution. Show them it is a priority and they will appreciate your dedication to improving the way their days and projects are managed.
“The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” ~Socrates
Let this be the motto for you and your team as you make the transition to your new project management solution. You chose to make the change for a reason, and although it can sometimes be tempting to skip the work and fall back to the old ways, they failed you once and they will fail you again. Each step you take during implementation is setting your company up for unprecedented success.
Interested in more insights about ConstructionOnline? Take a look at: